Friday, September 25, 2009

Cabbage Potato Soupy Goodness-For a Non Soup Person


Today, I came home early with the flu...baaaaaah!  I was in the mood for something that would wrap me up in the comfort of my favorite blankie, yet give me the energy to not pass out.  Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking has been sitting by my bedside table, taunting me, intimidatingly for days.  I scoured through my fridge and then looked through the book.  The recipe that seemed most appetizing was Cabbage Soup.  However, I had a craving for a melange of cabbage and potatoes, so I took here recipe and altered it a bit.
3 strips bacon
1/2 a head of cabbage (chopped)
2 potatoes (small cubes)
1 small onion
2 cloves garlic (smashed)
1 cup white wine
6 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
I fried the bacon and chopped it into little bits.  In the bacon fat, I sauteed the onions and garlic until caramelized.  Then I added the chopped cabbage and covered it all with the bacon goodness.  Once the cabbage had wilted a bit, I added the potatoes and cup of white wine.  Mixing it as it boiled, I added the chicken broth and water, brought it to a rapid boil, covered it and let it simmer for an hour.
Soup is not my favorite food; however, today was different.  This soup hit a home run for me, and broke the ice between me and Mastering the Art of French Cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment