Sunday, November 29, 2009

My First,SUCCESSFUL, Roasted Turkey


Thanksgiving turkey has to be the centerpiece, so having the pressure of being a first-time Thanksgiving hostess, the added pressure of the turkey coming out perfect make me super nervous.  My neighborhood Ralphs was where I was able to be "guaranteed" a fresh turkey (I think that I asked the butcher to bet his life that I would have a fresh bird the day before Thanksgiving).  My Dad was nice enough to come over the night before and help me inject the bird with a great salt marinade.  I am obsessed with marinating, so why would I not marinate a 23 lb bird.  On Thursday morning, I was up at 3:00 a.m. because I had read that the turkey had to come up to room temperature to assure that it roasted well.  Then, I was up at 6:00 a.m. and the race was on - rub the turkey, stuff the turkey, make sure the wings are foiled, tent the turkey, have all basting tools ready, set the temperature, and start...oh yes, and put turkey in the oven!  Mr. Turkey absorbed all the marinade and herb rub and stuffing flavors, and was juicy, flavorful, and minimal of leftovers.  Here's the recipe...enjoy.


Mediterranean Roasted Turkey (printable recipe)




1 comment: